Friday, May 31, 2013

Graduation Cap Gift Box and Card - Petal Cone Die

When I saw this idea by Holly at Ink, Paper, Stamps, I just knew I had to try it.  I've made lots of different projects, including take out boxes, with my Petal Cone Die (retiring, 40% off), so it made perfect sense when I saw it.  The graduation cap is basically a take out box turned upside down, with the card attached to the top.

 I made a few modifications (no white on the base of the cap, texturized the "button" on the top, and used a different punch at the end of the tassel).
 The bottom of the cap opens like this.  You close it just like you'd close up a cardboard box.  Sorry the picture is a little blurry.  My camera just did not want to focus on it, no matter what setting I used.
The Petal Cone die for the Big Shot is so versatile, you don't want to miss out on getting it.  Unfortunately, since it's on the retirement list, you only have until Monday, June 3rd to order it.  While you're there, check out the other great products on the retirement list.

Still on the fence about it?  Google "Petal Cone die, Stampin' Up" and choose Images at the top.  I've also posted some projects here on my blog, though I have to say, I've made many more items with this die than I've posted.

I stamped the inside of the card with Pure Gumption.  I'm not sure why I didn't take a picture of it.

You can always use black for graduation caps and gowns, but when I know the school colors, I like to personalize it.  We made these in the April Club and some of the ladies made theirs in Brilliant Blue (retired) with a Crushed Curry (returning color) tassel, which matches our local high school colors.

The tassel was made with the Tasteful Trim die and the Scallop Oval Punch.




3 comments:

Ariel said...

such a cute idea. I haven't seen anything like this before.
Note about the pic...try stepping farther away from the item you're trying to focus on and zoom if you want to have a close up; that may work better for you.

Sue Root said...

Glad you liked the project. Thanks for the tip. I do try that sometimes. I've even been known to stand on chairs to get high enough! lol I think it might be because of the dark shadow and the lighter spot on the inside. I tried different angles, zooming in and out, everything I could think of. I probably did have to get even further away. My memory card had major issues shortly thereafter, so I choose to blame it on that rather than user error :)

Tracy B. said...

Fabulous project!!! Thanks for sharing!! Can't wait to make it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...